Thursday, April 7, 2011

Power of Passion

It is a human need to adorn oneself - Niessing 



I was extremely fortunate to get to spend last week in Santa Fe, New Mexico with my family at our timeshare. The handful of weeks that we have each year have always fallen when I was in school. As a result, I haven't been to Santa Fe since I was in third grade! Shocking, considering my family spends at least two weeks there every year. It is even more amazing that I haven't been to to Santa Fe in well over a decade, because my hometown in only a mere four hours from Santa Fe and I have been in the fine jewelry/gallery industry for several years. Needless to say, this year is my first year of making my own schedule at work and not being in school, so I made sure to pencil it into my calendar. 






Everything about my trip was absolutely amazing. I know that I appreciate all the Santa Fe has to offer much more than ever before based on my art/jewelry background. From the flea market, to the farmer's market, to the Plaza, and to all the galleries on Canyon Road, I just couldn't get enough! I bought my first three pieces of fine art from an artist named Raya, who is one of the most talented painters I have ever seen. She does everything from landscape, to abstract, to layering paper to create beautiful designs. She is extremely talented in a variety of mediums, which is really quite rare for an artist. She was so sweet and I loved her energy almost as much as her work. She was so touched that I chose to purchase her work for my first pieces of fine art to have for my own. It is interesting to me that after working with so much wonderful art and never being compelled to actually own any of it, I saw these three pieces and knew they had to go home with me! I promise to post pictures of them soon, but as I mentioned before, I am having issues with my new Canon Powershot S95 and it is yet again at the repair shop. 








The adobe architecture, the rolling hills dotted with shrubs, and the heavily forested mountains around Santa Fe make it a site to see, no doubt! Every house is a similar reddish sandy color to the ones around it, but it is unique based on the color of trim the owner chose around their windows and the color they painted their front door. Most of the homes have these really neat walled in courtyards that are adorned with amazing wooden gates or rod iron elements. Everything about the city feels substantial, cozy and inviting. Even the huge homes in town seem understated yet spectacular as a result of the style of architecture. I love the idea of having a casita, or small back house to use a studio or for guests when they visit, as well. Here are some images I borrowed to exemplify the Santa Fe style.







The jewelry in Santa Fe in also amazing, especially now that I have developed a taste for unique, exquisite pieces that allow one to be mesmerized time and time again. The image I posted at the beginning of this post is a style of rings from a German company named Niessing that I saw in Santa Fe. They do an incredible job of creating pieces that are eye catching, classic, and contemporary. They use an assortment of tones of gold that are not normally seen in the industry, such as grey gold. They do tension set engagement rings that are truly pieces of art and design, see the image below. I love their use of brushed and polished metals, gorgeous diamonds colored anywhere from clear to sherry, and intriguing design elements. If you are ever in Santa Fe, I would highly recommend a visit to Eidos Contemporary Jewelry in the Sanbusco Market near the Railyard. Here is their website for more info and other lines that they carry: http://www.eidosjewelry.com/






Another place that really caught my eye was called Sequoia in downtown Santa Fe. The company used reclaimed wood to create marvelous furniture. Check out these images below of some of their amazing designs. After visiting their store, I have to say that I am seriously considering saving up for one of their bedroom sets! Check out their website for more info and images: http://www.sequoiasantafe.com/index.html








Okay, enough about how much I loved Santa Fe! Don't be surprised if you find me residing there in the near future though! If you ever find yourself near Santa Fe, go see all that the city has to offer for a few days. If you appreciate design, art, or jewelry, I promise that you won't be disappointed! 

I'm sorry to report that I haven't been baking nearly as much as I would like to be, but I promise to post some recipes and actually take pictures of them during each stage soon! I have tried out several new recipes for salads and soups and will be putting those up again in the next few weeks, so check back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment